[TowerTalk] YAESU 2800 ROTOR...PROBLEM

cqtestk4xs at aol.com cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Sun Sep 25 13:34:43 EDT 2022

I know that water intrusion into the connection plug at the base of the 2800 rotor can be an issue.  So when I installed my 5 2800s I used Dap bathtub caulk to seal the front of the "boot" that slides the female plug.  I also caulked the end of the boot that slides over the cable.
All was good for about 9 months.  I have developed issues with 3 of the rotors...flakey readings on the meters, as well as slow/eratic  rotation...all signs of water intrusion.
First step was to switch out the bad control boxes with the good ones...no change.  Next, I went up the tower and remove the caulk and boots from the 3 "bad" rotors.  All 3 had some degree of leakage.  Not much but enough to cause an issue.  I used Q-tips to dry the male plug in the rotor.  The female plug connected to the cable was shaken to nremove any water, (very little came out) and then I blew hard quite a few times to blow any moisture left.  I then reconnected the cable to all three.  Before caulking again, the xyl rotated all 3 antennas...all was normal, so I recaulked everything.  No rain that night, but the next day flaky operation was back.  I repeated the same fix a couple days later and all was good, for a day.  I knw the cables are good  because it works fine after cleaning out the connection., The cables when not connected to the rotor after fixing show no shorts, but when there is an issue with the rotors they do show shorts. Is it possible for the water to intrude into the 2800, where it would act as a reservoir for water?  Any thoughts on this would help.
73  Bill K4XS/V31XX