[TowerTalk] R0hn 25 Storage

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sun Jan 1 13:28:23 EST 2023

If you have rust outside, there is likely rust inside and painting won't
solve that problem.

For it to last in your environment for 20 more years, I'd suggest
getting it regalvanized.  Properly done it will be as good as new.  It
may or may not be cost effective vs buying new, depending on what you
find in your area for galvanizers, so check around.  The re-galvanizing
process will strip the remaining Zn and rust.

However, if you paint it, the cleaning (pickling) step will not remove
any paint.  So sandblasting it or chemically remove it or a zillion
hours of wire brushing is needed.  So once painted (an ugly messy job),
then repaint every 5 years or so.  Another reason to regalvanize.

I'd cover it to reduce the salt accumulation, stored horizontally, and
use a garden hose to flush out critters when you are putting it up
(worked for me on similar situation R25).

Grant KZ1W