[TowerTalk] Antenna traps

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Mon Jan 2 21:43:54 EST 2023

Thanks Jake.  K9YC explained this to me in a private email.

The loaded dipole is a decent dual band balanced antenna with a nice
pattern.  The 80/40 would be great to have on one of my contest expeditions.

John KK9A

Jake K9WN wrote:

John and others:

I've made MANY wire antennas using coils. In simple terms (which I can
understand) what happens is, say an 80/40 dipole, the coils is made/wound
with enough turns so on 40 it has a high enough inductive reactance to block
rf flow any father. On 80 the coil acts as a plain load coil

W9INN used these properties on his wire antennas, even multi band (more than
2 bands). Yes bandwidth suffers on lower bands, but that's what they make
antenna "tuners" for.

Hope this helps.
73 and stay well
K9WN Jake