[TowerTalk] DIY Air Wound Coils

Brian Beezley k6sti at att.net
Wed Jan 18 10:54:48 EST 2023

> Can you cite some examples of plastics that have high loss at HF and low
> loss at UHF or vice versa?  I've never encountered that phenomenon.

Rick, see CUSTOMIZE.TXT in gnd.zip (download from the COIL page) for
several examples. One is PVC, whose dissipation factor is 2.9 times
higher at 1 MHz than at 3 GHz.

> The web site (plasticfantasticlibrary) doesn't appear to give an
> information about dielectric constant and dissipation factor.  Did I somehow miss where
> this info was listed?

Pick the plastic and then scroll down to Electrical Properties. They do
not give values for multiple frequencies. I listed them because their
coverage of plastics is so comprehensive. See README.TXT for several
less comprehensive references that do give electrical properties at more
than one frequency. This information is not easy to find in one place. I
spent years accumulating it for COIL. The default values the program
uses (listed in CUSTOMIZE.TXT) are the most reliable values I have found.

Brian