[TowerTalk] Tower Collapse in South Dakota

Shawn Donley n3ae at comcast.net
Sun Jan 22 12:08:41 EST 2023

Our local code requires a setback of 70% the height of the tower.  Not sure what that number was based upon.

But for a brief moment, suspend emotion and ask yourself how many injuries, deaths or property damage have been caused by failing amateur radio towers compared to falling trees?  A friend had half of his house destroyed by a neighbor's falling trees in a winter storm. The trees were in good condition but could not hold against the storm. So logically, why are there not regulations on setback when planting trees since they far exceed towers in causing deaths, injury and property damage?  I know, a ridiculous thought, but still the logic makes sense to me.  Around here near the Chesapeake Bay, if you're withing 1000 ft of the bay or a tidal estuary, you cannot cut down a tree that could hit your house (unless it was in bad condition or dead and you get a permit) unless you pay a hefty fee or plant three trees for every one you remove.  The decision on fee or tree is up to the county.  Guess which one they usually pick.