[TowerTalk] Tower Collapse in South Dakota

Joseph B. Fitzgerald jfitzgerald at alum.wpi.edu
Sun Jan 22 22:45:20 EST 2023

Shawn N3AE wrote:

>why are there not regulations on setback when planting trees  ... I know, a ridiculous thought, but still the logic makes sense to me.

I think the trees are considered a part of nature rather than something built by people.   A tree owner has no real control control over where the roots of their tree grow.  Under Massachusetts law, your neighbor is not liable if the roots of a tree on their property damage your lawn, driveway, foundation or whatever.  You are however allowed to cut the portion of the the roots from their tree that grow onto your property.

On the other hand, a tower builder has complete control over how it is built, and it does not grow under the guidance of Mother Nature after it is installed.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/massachusetts-law-about-neighbors-and-trees

de KM1P Joe