[TowerTalk] Common Mode Choke Locations

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Thu Jan 26 19:39:43 EST 2023

The only location where I use a choke is at the antenna feed point.

John KK9A

Art Greenberg WA2LLN wrote:

The questions:

I realize that the bonding and lightning ground system isn't an RF
ground, but I wonder if it influences the location(s) of common mode chokes?

I -think- a CM choke is appropriate at the antenna feedpoint, despite
the bonding setup. Is that true?

Is an additional CM choke appropriate near the bottom of the tower? On
which side of the bonding at the bottom of the tower?

Is an additional CM choke appropriate before the lightning arrestor? Or
between the lightning arrestor and the equipment?

TNX

--
Art Greenberg
WA2LLN