[TowerTalk] Common Mode Choke Locations

David Gilbert ab7echo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 21:28:57 EST 2023

I'm not trying to promote choke overkill, but look at it this way. If it
is a truly high impedance CMC at the antenna, the shield of the
remaining coax run to the shack is essentially a receiving antenna with
an open end at the antenna.  If the antenna is a vertical with radials,
the coax becomes just another radial.  I don't understand why there
wouldn't be additional currents on the coax shield in those cases ...
over and above the differential currents the coax is carrying.  If so,
depending upon the circumstances, it seems you might want a CMC at the
shack end of the coax as well.

I don't use one there myself, but I've often wondered whether or not I
should.

73,
Dave  AB7E