[TowerTalk] Thrust bearing for AB-577??

Pete Smith N4ZR pete.n4zr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 09:41:47 EDT 2023

I have a C-3E tribander on an AB-577 "rocket launcher."  I also have a
3-element 6-meter yagi that I was planning to mount 6 feet above the
Yaesu rotator at the top of the 577, but was deterred by concern of some
knowledgeable hams that this might overload the rotator and cause a
catastrophic failure, destroying the rotator and the tribander.  That's
just too big a risk for me.

It occurs to me to wonder whether someone out there has contrived a way
to mount a thrust bearing above the rotator on an AB-577?  I can
visualize what this might look like, involving a structure attached to
the top of the top-most tube below the rotator and supporting a thrust
bearing a foot or so above, but don't want to reinvent the wheel unless
necessary.

--
73, Pete N4ZR