[TowerTalk] Shunt-fed grounded towers

Radio KH6O radio.kh6o at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 11:33:30 EDT 2023

Jim, Dave,

Theory attempts to capture each and every variable that can be
accounted for, but there will always be a multitude of variables that
will affect an application which remain unknown. This is the major
reason why climate models provide inaccurate forecasts.

Now, determining a real-world antenna radiation pattern would involve
utilizing a field strength meter at various distances and radial lines
from the aerial. This type of empirical research is not too difficult
at VHF and above*, but can be a real challenge at HF and below.

(*When the FCC enacted new repeater licensing regulations in the early
1970s, we were required to do this and plot our results on a
topographic map; thankfully those regs were eventually relaxed.)

Happy 4th!

73, Jeff KH6O
BS, MA Mathematics
University of Hawaii Mathematics instructor (1986-2006)