Bug in Name Editor?

Larry Tyree tree@lady.axian.com
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 11:09:28 -0700 (PDT)

> By the way, I heard that CQ Magazine Contest Committee is using Your
> software for processing CQ WW and CQ WPX logs, (lot of them are in
> CT and/ or NA formats), so I believe You actually *do* chrashed CT nuts
> (different log formats for almost any contest), and so there couldn't be
> any problem to add those procedures to TR POST subprogram.

The log checking software uses .BIN files, not ASCII files from CT.  I
have tried to add some CT to TR conversions, but it seems there are
so many different formats that it is hard to do.

> Again, I'm suggesting to add some kind of creating Initial Exchange file(s)
> feature. I wrote my own Pascal program for doing this, but still need some
> processing (deleting multiple entries [QSO's on different bands, etc], sorting
> by alphabetical order, etc)... I made this software available for other
> european TR users on SM3OJR home page (actually, I do not know, if Jon
> included my software to his home page yet), besides some INITIAL.EX files
> I have created...

This will be improved very soon.  I am making a new MASTER.DTA format that
will have initial exchange information in it.  I will make some better
tools for extracting that information from previous contest efforts.

> Of course, I vote for adding Eu VHF/ UHF contest into TR. Then, I vote for
> usage K1EA CTY.DAT country list instead of *.CTY lists: this would help us
> to get beam heading and sr/ss informations as well as this would (I believe)
> override improper scorings of UN, EX, EZ and another CIS Asian states in
> IARU.

These will both happen (Eu VHF is ready for the next release).

> My friend S51AY is suggesting to add some kind of "border" (frame) around
> "boxes" (different fields) on TR screen, as it is done in CT. Of course, those
> fields are of different colors, but sometimes it is difficult to distinguish
> among them, especially during nite hours... He sais, after hours of contesting
> when he became sleepy, screen seems to him like a painters palette....

Takes up room that I don't have.

> as TR supports K1EA's DVP (toggling CVB off and on with mode changes, as it
> is done with DVP). He says, when CVB.EXE TSR is loaded, function keys are
> "frozen" and  he can't use them during CW (in multimode contests).
> I'm using DVP for almost three years, and it works superb with TR (and
> worked without any problem even with older versions of TR).

Maybe - I don't have one of these boards.

> And now the main topic, I'm concerned about.
> Last week I received heap of QSLs and tryed to enter calls and names into
> name database. There I found lot of calls, which name editor refuses to
> accept (almost any EA call, lot of JA calls, etc). Tryed to enter them via
> ASCII file, but even this does not help anyway! Finally I deleted NAMES.CMQ
> file and entered whole list from zero. Of course, it takes lot of time....
>
> BTW, there are 12900 calls in the database; the fullest common array is
> 56.8 % full; the fullest uncommon array is 100 % full; and there are 407
> club calls in the database. I believed that "uncommon array" means club
> calls, but it seems I was wrong. Very probably, EA and JA calls are
> "uncommon", hi... It seems, it is time to delete some older calls from
> the database to make more place for more current ones. Right?

The problem is the uncommon names.  These are names that are not predifined
as the most common 256 names.  However, this problem will be fixed with
the new name database - which will offer unlimited numbers of names, and
longer than 6 characters.

> Again, thanks for really nice piece of software. Few years ago, I was
> "true blue" CT fan, but changed mind when I met TR!

Glad to hear it.

Let me know if the next few releases don't address most of your issues
(except for the voice blaster).

Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com