Band Map VS the Mouse

Dave Henderson, (Nawvemburr Zeeero Dawg House) n0dh@comtch.iea.com
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 08:33:45 -0700

There was a thread running around here last week on TRLog vs Windows 95. After further
experimenting I ended up running TRLog in the MSDOS mode from WIN95 rather than in Windows Mode.n
This decision was driven by my slower machine (486DX50) and the slow down of CW sending when ever
the computer was writing a backup log to the floppy drive every 10 QSOs.

Even with some fairly rigorous testing of TRLog 5.72 (I still havent gotten around to "unpacking"
5.73) in the prior week under my new WIN95 and MSDOS 7.0 operating system, Murphy still managed
to find me once I was in the heat of battle. The problem arose when I tried to access the BAND
MAP. I found that <CTRL-Page Down> would not bring the cursor down on to the map but instead
QSY'd the radio to the first QSO in the MAP. The radio interface was fine as band and  frequency
info were passing both ways. Since this was not a "fatal" problem I did without the MAP for the
duration of the contest.

Once my head cleared on Sunday afternoon after the contest I set out to trouble shoot the
problem. To make a long story short what I discovered is that if BAND MAP ENABLE = TRUE and MOUSE
ENABLE = TRUE , and the mouse is not functional ( because of a missing driver in DOS MODE!) that
the you will be denied the ability to access the BAND MAP even using the "manual" key strokes.
There are two ways around this "feature". The first is simply set MOUSE ENABLE = FALSE (the
default) or make sure that you add a mouse driver to your AUTOEXEC.BAT/CONFIG.SYS files when
re-booting in the MSDOS mode under WIN95. WIN95 no longer needs the mouse drivers to be in
AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS as it has its own driver set built into to the WIN95 operating system
so it comments out your old mouse drivers when you upgrade from DOS 6 / WIN3.1. Since the MOUSE
ENABLE = TRUE was a hold over in the LOGCFG.DAT from my early experiments with TRLog and a
feature that I dont really use, I chose to just get rid of the MOUSE ENABLE in the future.
Tree you may want to make a note of this for a future release of the operating manual. TRLog ran
flawlessly for me in the IARU CONTEST.

Dave
N0DH/7
dit dit