Version 5.84 release notes
Sun, 13 Oct 1996 16:21:42 -0700 (PDT)
Release notes for TR Logging Program - Version 5.84
13 October 1996
Version 5.84 - Released 13 October 1996
- Various run-time error fixes associated with TRMASTER.DTA.
- Fixed run-time error possibility when getting random calls.
- Eliminated bug that allowed dupes in TRMASTER file.
- More aggressive use of overlays in POST so it needs less memory.
- Added AUTO QSO NUMBER DECREMENT flag. Initial value is FALSE and
you can get to it via Control-J. When TRUE, this flag will tell
the program to send the previous QSO number when you are in the
Search and Pounce mode and the call and exchange window is empty.
The QSO number is sent with the # character in a CW message.
- Fixed missing command to enable JST-245 radio front panel. The
Japan Radio interface seems to work perfectly now.
Version 5.83 - Released 4 October 1996
- Eliminated HOME GRID parameter and replaced it with MY GRID and
GRID MAP CENTER. MY GRID is used for the beam heading calculations
and QSO point calculations when using the EuropeanVHFQSOPoint method
which calculates one point per kilometer. The GRID MAP CENTER is
used to position the center of the grid map to the desired place.
If this is set to a grid, the program will try to power up in the
VGA/EGA mode if available.
- The rate sheet under the OH2MM reports would crash if used for
a contest which had dates before the 10th of the month. This has
- The last internet update had a bug in the INSTALL program where it
was trying to copy the old .CTY files instead of the new CTY.DAT
file. This bug was fixed before anyone downloaded it from the
BBS. This version has the fixed version as well.
- If using the backslash to enter a frequency for the B VFO, your
Kenwood radio will now switch to split mode. I hope to add other
Version 5.82 - Released 1 October 1996
- Switch to CT version 9 country file (CTY.DAT). This file includes
all information that was in ARRL.CTY, IARU.CTY and CQWW.CTY. It
also includes latitude and longitude information for each country.
- No more beam heading file. Beam headings are computed using info
from the CTY.DAT file. To enable, simply set your home grid to your
- Don't know your grid square? Try the new GRID startup command by
typing TR GRID. Tell it your latitude and longitude and it will
computer your grid square.
- Other new startup commands include B64DECODE and UUDECODE to convert
these types of files to binary files.
- NEW RADIO!! The JST245 is now supported and hopefully it works.
This is in beta test mode as I don't have a radio here to test.
Also added JST RESPONSE TIME parameter (^J).
- Made Sprint exchange hacker very much smarter - it even uses name
database in some cases to try and distinguish a name from a QTH.
I think you have to be trying pretty hard for it to get confused.
Most exchanges can now be entered in any order.
- Improved .DTA database so that if a inquiry comes along for the
same call as the previous inquiry, the data is instantly returned.
- Fixed bug with LEAVE CURSOR IN CALL WINDOW and not MULTIPLE BANDS.
The cursor would stay in the QSO NEEDS window and the program would
Version 5.81 - Released 17 September 1996.
- Fixed crash if computing distance to your own grid (made it 0 KM).
- Created better delay timer to replace the one Borland Pascal has.
The delays are no longer dependent on the type of processor and
- Added programmable response timout for the different interfaced radios.
ICOM RESPONSE TIMEOUT, KENWOOD RESPONSE TIMEOUT and YAESU RESPONSE
TIMEOUT. All can be tweaked with Control-J. Adjusting the timeout
for the Icom is how I got the IC-761 to work (was 50 ms and started
working at 100).
- Added ICOM COMMAND PAUSE. This used to be 500 ms, but appears we can
shorten it to 200 ms. This is the necessary pause between frequency
and mode commands (the radio gets confused if they come too fast).
- Added / as a way to set B vfo (Kenwoods at least). This is great for
- Fixed bug with show search and pounce.
- Allowed 6 digit grid squares when starting up program for home grid.
- Fixed confusing instructions about exporting/importing files for .DTA
database (I hope).
Version 5.80 - 13 September 1996
- When importing check and section into database, also setup states.
- Fixed IC-761 data coming to computer!
- Added European HFC and KVP contests.
- If no mults, made SCORE show total QSO points.
- Fixed EU VHF so no mults - and allow exchange to work without them.
- If .DTA cell found without any calls - fixed crash of possible call list.
- Made up some pretty weird random calls if no .DTA file around.
Version 5.78 - 7 September 1996
- Many fixes and enhancements to .DTA stuff.
- Fixed crash if using EUROPEAN VHF TEST and no home grid set.
Version 5.77 - 3 September 1996
- Visible dupesheet now updated after using edit command.
- Floppy save no longer crashes program if disk error. Instead, there is
an error message with beeps.
- If you want the program to check on the size of your LOG.DAT file as
the contest progresses, you can turn on this feature with the CHECK LOG
FILE SIZE command (under Control-J). The file size will be checked
after every QSO.
- Bug fixed with new OH2MM rate sheet where it sometimes crashes at the
end of the log file.
- HEXDUMP enhanced to include search for data. For those of you who don't
know about this feature, it can be very handy. Type TR HEXDUMP filename
and you can examine a binary/ASCII file. This is very handy for looking
at .DTA files (which is why it was being enhanced).
- Fixed separate arrow or pageup/pagedown keys which stopped working in
the previous release.
- Enhanced the .DTA file format to include Name, Section, Check, QTH,
Ten-Ten number, FOC number, grid and who knows what else.
If you have a MASTER.DTA file now that you are using, make a copy of
it with the name TRMASTER.DTA. Put it where the program files are
and the program will find it no matter what directory you are logged
into. You can put custom ones in the working directory and they will
be used instead.
The NAMES.CMQ database is no longer used by TR. To transfer your data,
use the name editor in POST and save your data as an ASCII file. Then
use the new DTA file editor (POST U E) and the F command to load in
the data. As a result of not using the database, the program uses
about 90K less memory than before.
Various routines allow you to pull data out of old log files and add
them to the DTA database. These are in the DTA edit menu found in
POST under the utility menu.
- Added POSSIBLE CALL MODE with values ALL or NAMES (available in Control-J).
When set to NAMES only calls from the name database that have a name are
used for possible calls. This is how the old NAMES.CMQ file worked.
If you want to open it up so all the calls in the database are used for
possible calls, set POSSIBLE CALL MODE = ALL.
- New initial exchanges: NAME QTH, CHECK SECTION, QTH, GRID. These allow
data from the .DTA file to be used for initial exchanges. More will be
added later so more of the data in the DTA file can be used for initial
- No more Alt-N command. It takes too much time to update the DTA database
on the fly, so this command no longer makes sense. Also, data in the
database is no longer updated by the program as you make QSOs with
Version 5.76 - 22 August 1996
- Fixed GridFields - in TR and POST for TOEC contest.
- Changed overlay buffer from 90K to 70K (reduces memory used by 20K).
- Eliminated range checking in LogDupe (saves another 5K).
- Eliminated hang if not enough room for name database at startup.
- Created NewReadKey and NewKeyPressed to allow F11 and F12 memories.
- Fixed bug with SAC prefixes not being processed correctly if in editable
window and SAC prefix different than natural prefix.
Version 5.75 - 13 August 1996 (version 5.74 was handed out at the WRTC)
- Prevented Alt-D from working if SINGLE RADIO MODE = TRUE.
- Added LEADING ZERO CHARACTER parameter to select what the leading zero
character will be (previously it was always zero). Can be programmed
with Control-J menu (toggles T, O and 0).
- Made LEADING ZEROS an integer to select minimum length of serial
number (previously was always 3). Y is still allowed (default of 3).
- Improved SAC mults for calls like 8S3BG.
- Fixed MULT REPORT MINIMUM BANDS in LOGCFG file (was COUNTRIES).
- Made SIMULATOR ENABLE = FALSE over ride previous TRUE entry in LOGCFG.DAT.
- Added many reports for CQ WW (and other contests). Check out the
R M menu in POST. Thanks for OH2MM for helping define these.
- When loading in LOG.DAT file - prevented crash if illegal mode found
with okay band. Also shows the offending QSO so you can go fix it
if you want.
- Made FindDirectory look in more places for files. Thanks to K2MM for
his ideas. This applies to .CTY and name files. Also, the install
program no longer puts you in the working directory.
- Fixed ITU Zone 30 to be in Asia, not Europe (it is really in both?).
- Made AUTO DUPE ENABLE CQ and AUTO DUPE ENABLE S AND P (both in Control-J).
- Added QSO POINTS DOMESTIC/DX CW/PHONE commands. Over-rides the QSO
- Added big remaining country list - BIG REMAINING LIST = TRUE (Control-J).
Default has about 145 countries in it (thanks OH2MM for helping come up
with the default list).
- Fixed garbage CW when using StartSendingNowKey then the delete key.
- Added AUTO DISPLAY DUPE QSO with default = FALSE. This will show
previous dupe QSOs automatically when working a dupe.
Version 5.73 - 4 July 1996
- Improved info shown during Auto-CQ to mention PageUp/Dn delay adjust.
- Added VGA DISPLAY ENABLE. When FALSE, will prevent use of EGA/VGA modes.
- Added all possible DXCC countries as domestic mults for ARRL Field Day.
- Made Auto-CQ loop process packet and multiport input when active.
- POST Log merGe now filters out duplicate QSOs caused by network computers.
Version 5.72 (5.71 was an internal release) - on 17 June 1996
- Added PTT TURN ON DELAY parameter - default = 15 * 1.7 ms.
- Fixed bands above 2304 not showing up in summary sheet.
- Fixed secondse -> seconds in auto cq.
- Grid Map implmented. Enable by setting HOME GRID to desired center.
- Added FIELD DAY to simulator.
- Made AUTO DUPE ENABLE = FALSE for VHF contests.
- Fixed non /R calls in VHF not being flagged as dupes.
- If no I/O COM3 or COM4 address in ROM table, use 3E8 & 2E8 (a la COM34).
Version 5.70 - Released on 7 June 1996 (5.66 to 5.69 were beta releases)
- Made non OK/OM station have mult by mode and band for OK DX contest.
- Made /R stations initial exchange not have space and allow overwrite.
- Made grid map display go away when cleaning up display with ESCAPE.
- Fixed alphabetical order of grid map display.
- Made ARRL VHF contests have QSO BY MODE = FALSE.
- Made QSO needs have better format + reverse video for 2nd mode.
- Added FM as a mode when >= 6 meters. It is handled same as SSB.
- Only allow dupes and show grid status if /R shows up in VHF call.
- Put autodupe enable back on for VHF contests - for non rover calls.