Computer Clock Question

Ronald D Rossi rrossi@btv.ibm.com
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 09:53:14 -0500

Jay,

I ran into exactly the same problem. In power saving mode on recent
motherboards the clock speed is changed or turned off to lower the power
consumption. The modern CMOS components use power at the rate of
C x V x V x f. The capacitance is fixed. The voltage is generally fixed as
well. That leaves only the freq to change. Well I digress...

The biggest power savings comes from turning off your monitor. I leave my
computer on all the time. To turn off the energy saving feature you need to
boot your computer into BIOS setup mode. How to do this varies with the
manufacturer. Send me private email with the make or call me and I can
probably get you going.

--
73 de KK1L ex N1PBT...ron (rrossi@btv.ibm.com) <><
Ron Rossi H/P SRAM Engineering -- IBM Microelectronics

--
ron <><
Ron Rossi H/P SRAM Engineering -- IBM Microelectronics