FT-890

LarryX Tyree contractor for brentc larrytx@co.intel.com
Thu, 16 Jan 97 09:02:28 PST

Hi Dave:

>      This may be ancient history, but did you have any trouble getting the
>      FT-890 to work with TRLog?  I coded NA per the stuff in the FT-890
>      manual, but I don't know anybody with an FT-890 to test it with and
>      now the users say it doesn't work.

It is ancient history...  The only difference between the 990 and 890
that I see in my code is the location of the mode byte.  It is one byte
before the location with the 990/1000.

>      You are to be congratulated that according to my users, you're one of
>      the few programs that work correctly with the FT-890.  NA will send
>      commands correctly, but only decodes the frequency data correctly on
>      160 and 80.  CT is utterly hosed, decoding nothing correctly and
>      invoking a five second delay between each keypress response with a
>      continuous "Yaesu Radio Timeout" message.

Isn't CT a fun product to compete against?  Sorry TR isn't as much fun.

>      It's been my experience that although Yaesu is pretty clear in their
>      protocol descriptions in the manuals, there *ARE* significant errors.
>      I had to drive to AA8U and experiment with his FT-990 to discover that
>      the manual and what the radio sent did not agree.

Yeah - I had a 990 to play with, but that was about 3 years ago.  I forget if
I had any problems with respect to the documentation.   I never have had the
890 in my shack, but one feature I put in the program allows the user to make
a binary file showing me all the data coming back from the radio.  This allows
me to quickly figure out what is going on - and fix the code.  Sounds like
a similar feature would help you with the 890 problem.

> Any advice would be appreciated.

That makes two beers you owe me.

Tree