[TRLog] TS-870S polling poll

Tree N6TR n6tr@teleport.com
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 19:29:53 -0800 (PST)

If you don't have a TS-870, do yourself a favor and delete this
message now.

If you do, please read the following and let me know if you have
seen anything similar.  I have spent quite a bit of time trying to
get to the bottom of this problem that W0MN has.  If I can't get
anywhere else, I will return his money.

As I posted previously, it appears the radio isn't returning the
data after I send IF; to it.  Gil had used the program as a dumb
terminal and saw the same problem (in other words - TR wasn't in
the picture).

When he says it works when you send CW, I suspected that the cable
had the RTS or CTS signals tied to the PTT or something.

At any rate - if anyone with an 870 has any input, I would love to
hear about it.  If there is a problem with the way TR works with the
870, I want to fix it (despite what W0MN says).

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com

From: gbaron@sparc.isl.net (Gilbert Baron)
To: Tree  N6TR <n6tr@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: My radio control problems

>Gil-
>
>I got a "response" from Kenwood that says something like "we have=20
>never seen this - have the user send their radio in".

This problem is worse than I thought. It means that the band map does
not work correctly on SSB. Since in SSB you are not sending CW to the
radio it takes you many contacts before you find a change in the
frequency so the band map is not updated. I am sure others are having
the same problem with Kenwood. I have seen at least one response on
the reflector complaining about the hysteresis and if they have that
then they are certain to have all of the other problems too. Maybe
there are not enough TS870s out there for you to bother but you should
make it clear that your program does not work correctly with the
Kenwood and not sell it to Kenwood 870 owners until you fix it. i am
sure you could come up with a fix if it were important enough but it
seems from your last response that you have written it off. That is
too bad, an unhappy customer and a lost opportunity for you. That is
how it goes with software today. I would have found this out if there
had been a true demo before I bought but you are not really following
shareware try before you buy paradigm. You are selling it and then if
it does not work, tough I guess. It is a wonderful program when it
works but it just does not work for me except for the logging and
duping features which are wonderful.

It is truly scary to think that I thought it was so good before
finding these bugs that I almost paid the 100 dollar lifetime
registration!

>I am sure that if you did, they wouldn't find anything... =20

Yes, because it is probably working as designed. Too bad, I agree with
you that it is too bad it is not the same as other Kenwoods it seems.

>I am afraid at this point, I am not sure where to go to solve this
>problem.=20

The way to go is to make an option that sends commands to Kenwood in
the way it would have to when it is a Kenwood 870. You could easily do
that as you do with other radios. I agree that it may not be wroth
your time and effort but I know you could do it, anyone could.

> Maybe I will find someone else who has the problem and
>can get more clues, but currently, I don't have any good ideas on=20
>other things to try.

At least one has already reported similar problems on the reflector.

>If you come up with any more data or ideas, let me know.
>
>Tree

I don't have any other ideas. Change the dat stream seems to be the
only solution. I can see where you don;t want to do that when you
think I am the only one with the problem. I would not want to either.
I am sure I am not the only one though.

Gil Baron W0MN gbaron@sparc.isl.net =
Bailar es vivir" pgp2.6 key =
http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html
"Cuatro caminos hay en mi vida. Cual de los cuatro sera el mejor"=20
[Posted with Agent 1.5. For info, email agent-info@forteinc.com.]