[TRLog] RIT step size

Tree N6TR n6tr@teleport.com
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 08:49:00 -0800 (PST)

> > > There is still a hysteresis but not nearly as large as before. I think
> > > his idea of a setting to control step speed will fix that.
> >
> > Agreed - I will put a knob in the next release to allow tuning the
> > QSY rate to the rate.  It is too bad Kenwood appears to have taken
> > a step backward in this area.  The 850s keep up just fine.

I think hysteresis is the wrong word here - it is more like overshoot.

> I am not totally convinced that this could not be handled in some way
> but I am not sure how at this moment. The problem with slowing it down
> is that the steps will have to be larger if you want to be able to QSY
> at a reasonable rate. Even now it changes frequency too slowly. Could
> the steps be made larger in some way if for instance you hold the key
> for over 1 second or some variable time it would speed up by increasing
> the step size (if that is possible). Many control programs work that
> way.  I think you can program the step size.

I will check in the 870, but for all of the other Kenwoods, you can't
program the step size.  It is the same as clicking the mic button
up or down.  I tuned this to work well with the 850s (which I have
two of) but it has always been too slow on the 940s.

Hopefully when it gets adjusted, it will feel okay.

Tree