[TRLog] RIT step size

Tree N6TR n6tr@teleport.com
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 09:12:27 -0800 (PST)

VE7CQK writes:

> Speaking of ts940's... I have noticed that LogEQF  will qsy reliably
> whereas TRlog won't. With EQF if you use the pgUP/pgDown keys it will
> move up or down one step, but with TR if you hit the shift keys the
> change is a number of steps and not necessarily the same number.
> Also, sometimes the frequency change will not stop, but keeps creeping.
>
> Any ideas as to the algorithm differences?

It sounds like EQF moves one step for every time you press the
pageup/down keys.  TR works differently as it is sending
QSY commands to the radio as long as you hold one of the
shift keys down.

So, how far it will move depends on how long your press the
shift key.

When you say it keeps creeping, does that mean it keeps going
for a short (less than a second) length of time after you have
let go of the shift key - or does it mean it continues to slowly
move well after you have let go?

I believe that the 940 can't keep up with the commands as fast
as TR sends them (again - tuned to the rate that the 850 can suck
them up).  Because of this, the radio will continue to QSY until
it has processed all of the commands in its buffer.  This will
result in it overshooting the desired frequency.

Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com