[TRLog] News from N6TR

Tree N6TR n6tr@teleport.com
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 08:41:56 -0700 (PDT)

Dayton is coming up fast!  Between now and then, you should expect
to see an updated manual (after all, we have to have new printed
ones there).

Version 6.25 should be out around the end of the month and be the
"Dayton version".  I am happy to report that the networking problems
experienced at N6RO have been understood and fixed.  The bug was in
the low level communication routines for the network.  Under normal
operation, they worked just fine, but if there was some data missing,
the routines might miss an end of message character and try to process
a message that was too long to fit into the string variable used to
return the data.  The procedure is now protected from this situation
and the crashes have stopped.

I plan on trying to address as many loose ends as possible between
now and the end of the month.

One big loose end is Field Day, which has made digital QSOs count
as a separate band.  It is pretty straight forward to add a new
mode to TR, but it will result in the program using 8.5K more memory.
Rather than have TR use up this memory for just one contest, I am
proposing making a special version of TR just for field day.

Furthurmore - since the current public domain version of TR (4.05) is
way out of date, I am thinking of making the FD only version of the
software public domain.  Perhaps I will add the sprints and NAQP to
it as well.

Hope to see many of you at Dayton.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com