[TRLog] "OT's Bug" vs. the "Name Feature"

swca@ionet.net swca@ionet.net
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 06:20:33 -0600 (CST)

W5ASP says:

>After the plethora of recent contests featuring the "name" as part of the
>exchange, I can understand the apparent concern about the inability of TR to
>change it's database on the fly.

Joe, your advanced age is showing.  These contests are going on 20 years
old.  That's practically longer than some of us hot-shot (flash in the pan)
reckless young ops have been alive.

>one might be expected to actually copy the exchange being sent...

Now wait, does it say this in the Rules?

>Actually, even at my somewhat advanced age, I often remember the names I've
>had to correct a bit earlier and am well into the requisite change as it's
>being sent. (I'm really getting rather quick on some of 'em like Ed/Ward,
>Hose/Steve, Ralph/Gator, etc.)

They say this is what happens when you get old.  Maybe as an old geezer you
could help me with a question.  I was over at another Old Timer's place the
other day watching him operate.  I couldn't understand what was being said
because it was in some kind of code, but he had this remarkable device
sitting on the table next to his computer keyboard.  It looked really heavy
for its size, and had lots of shiny chrome.

Every once in a while, when the Old Timer would get upset because the
program wasn't doing something right, he would reach over and begin slapping
this device around on the table.  Next thing you knew, he was moving on to
the next QSO and perfectly happy again.  His rate never dipped below 120.

I was amazed.  I thought to myself:  "this must be some kind of secret magic
device that only really old operators have which can miraculously save a qso
from the brink of computer destruction."  Maybe you could tell me more about
this, Joe?

73's

Chad Upstart, NA5GRN (but I never use my own call).

P.S. Since when did Gator change his name to Ralph?