[TRLog] "OT's Bug" vs. the "Name Feature"

Lee Hiers, AA4GA aa4ga@contesting.com
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 17:20:26 +0000

On 26 Feb 98, Jastaples@aol.com wrote:

> However, it does seem that taking into account the rather limited
> duration of these contests (4 to 10 hours) one might be expected to
> actually copy the exchange being sent... even if occasionally it
> means "re"correcting the exchange that happily reappears on the
> screen.

Well, I use the database not to fill in info that I don't copy, but
to save keystrokes.  If you work guys with info different than what's
in the database, it would be nicer to only make the correction one
time, rather than six.  No, it's not a big thing, but every little
bit helps.

Of course you should actually copy the exchange and not count on the
database.  And you should copy callsigns in pileups rather than
relying on packet spots....especially after some of the junk I saw
spotted this past weekend!!

> I only mention this to suggest that the presence of a massive
> database should not be an excuse to become lax as operators....
> otherwise where's the fun ?

Exactly, but that doesn't mean that the database can't be a useful
tool as well.

73 de Lee

--
Lee Hiers - AA4GA