[TRLog] Program crashing on 6x86 remains!

Tree N6TR n6tr@teleport.com
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 16:57:37 -0800 (PST)

Martin, OK1RR writes (and you might want to know the answer):

> Hi there, some month ago I referred about program crashing
> on machine using 6x86 processor by IBM/Cyrix.

> I am using VT5099A chipset Pentium system board with the
> 6x86L-PR200+ CPU, Pentium BIOS REV:3.0 (Plug & Play) and
> Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG. System has the S3 video card
> using S3 86C325 Video BIOS version 1.00-10 by S3 Inc., 1996.
> Finally, my system uses Windows 95 version 4.00.950B (OSR2)
> without any other MS-DOS (no previous version of MS-DOS),
> 64 MB of RAM and two IDE HDD (1GB/16bit FAT and 4 GB/32bit
> FAT, both LBA) controlled by on-board IDE controller. TR log
> is located on non bootable drive D, 1GB/16 bit FAT.

Martin has found a problem we just discovered with the CALLTEST
software we use for checking the CQ WW logs...  Borland Pascal
code crashes if you have more than about 48 meg of memory.

I don't fully understand the crash (I have never seen it here), but
it is documented on the borland news group.  I don't know of a work
around to the problem (yet), but I will be investigating this.  We
are going to try to port the code to Delphi 3.0 to see if that can
be used as a compiler.

This is similar, but not related, to the problem we fixed a few months
back where the code was crashing with CPU speeds > 200 MHz.  In this
case, I found a documented fix that has been in TR for months without
any side effects.

I will update the list when I have any hard data on this.  It is
possible that if you use up some of the memory with a ram disk or
other device that TR will run, but I don't know this for a fact.

In the mean time, you will have to either remove some memory or stick
to the other machines.

Again, I just became aware of this issue during the last week.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com