k6ll: Re: [TRLog] Cyrix 6x86 problems - more details

k6ll@juno.com k6ll@juno.com
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 17:23:48 +0000

On Fri, 16 Jan 98 23:50:33 +0100 ok1rr@gw.ok0ncg.ampr.org writes:

>Of course, I am startin the TR Log without GIU, from the "DOS" which
>comes
>with Win95 - not from the DOS shell. Unfortunately, I cannot boot from
>any
>other MS-DOS (or other DOS) bootable diskette because this does not
>support
>the 32bit FAT. Then my 4 gigs bootable disk seems to be invisible...
>Again, the TR Log is located on another drive with 16bit FAT. I tried
>move the TR directory to the bootable disk, fruitless. The problem
>remains,
>I guess I tried all the possible tricks. Something forgotten?
>                                             73 Martin, OK1RR
>

>                                                 73 Martin, OK1RR

Received my new computer a few days ago. It is a Cyrix 6x86 200MMX
with 64 MB RAM, and a 4.3 GB UDMA HD, using FAT 32 under
Win 95 OSR2. TR seems to work fine when booted up to the command
prompt without starting windows. There was a fair amount of hard
drive clattering, and a small delay in logging callsigns at first.
This was solved by starting SMARTDRV, with hard drive read/write caching
enabled, before starting TR. I typed about 20 callsigns into the log,
and it worked fine, controlling the two radios and sending cw. Will
be using it in the Sprints.

I hope this provides a useful data point on Cyrix/64MB/FAT32
compatibility.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]