[TRLog] DVK notes

n6tr@teleport.com n6tr@teleport.com
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 03:47:33 -0800 (PST)

Here are the results of the beta-test version to enhance the DVK
operation with two radios.  Dave has certainly done a thorough
job mapping this all out.  The one thing I might do differently
is use exchange function key F2 to send the "exchange" if I
wanted to, and that might make the step after that more like how
the program would work on CW.

I will make a release on Thursday night with these fixes in it:

From: Leeson <leeson@ix.netcom.com>
To: n6tr@teleport.com
Subject: Re: [TRLog] DVK Msg Question

As far as I can tell, the Beta works as you describe.

In S&P mode, using Alt-P O-8 gets E-F1 both with Space Bar with Call
Window empty and (now also) with <CR> with a call in the window, plus
the next <CR> sends O-8 if it's programmed.  Since the DVK doesn't send
the QSO number, the timing is awkward because you first have to say the
number, then press <CR> to send the rest of the exchange and log the
QSO.

In the Alt-D mode, once the QSO is loaded and ready, the Space Bar does
send E-F1 now, but the business about not knowing when the message is
finished does mean you can't use O-8 here, because if it's long the rigs
are swapped and the last part comes out on the wrong rig, plus there's
no CQ.  If the O-8 message is blank, the <CR> swaps radios and sends the
CQ on the proper radio.  So this will work using E-F3, which has to be
pressed and the sending finished before the <CR> is pressed to log the
QSO and swap back to the original rig.

When I use Alt-D, I always listen to both radios at the end of my
exchange message both to see if the CQ frequency is still OK and to hear
the response of the Alt-D station so I don't leave someone hanging
needing a fill.  I typically switch off the "both radios" headphone
function during the other station's exchange so I can concentrate on it
to avoid a need for a fill.

Here's a revised table of what I think is happening when, plus a table
of the Memory settings I'm using:

CQ Mode:

When                     Key       Sends    Notes

Call Window empty        <CR>      C-F1     Repeats 'til call in window
Call in Call Window      <CR>      0-2      Opens Exch. Window
Type in exch.            <CR>      0-4      Logs QSO in LOG.TMP

S&P Mode:

Call Window empty      Space Bar   E-F1
Call in Call Window      <CR>      E-F1     Opens Exch. Window
Type in exch.            <CR>      0-8      Logs QSO in LOG.TMP

Alt-D Mode:

QSOing on active radio   Alt-D              Type in call
                         <CR>               Loads QSO ready to go
QSO ready in window    Space Bar   E-F1     Swaps radio, puts in call
Exch QRV, type exch.   <CR>        O-8      Logs QSO, swaps radio
If O-8 blank, sends                C-F1     On original radio

Ur right to leave O-8 blank, because Alt-D can't tell when message is
finished to swap to original radio and begin CQ, so use F3 instead for
S&P and Alt-D exch. (works OK in S&P, but isn't separated from Alt-D
function that uses the same message).

I would doubt I will use O-2 or O-8, because they are hard to turn off
on the fly, but I wanted to see what was used where.  Instead, I'll use
F3 (= DVK2 both in CQ and EX, for consistency).

BTW, if I try to erase a message such as Alt-P C-F1 = DVK1, it won't
erase and just pops back up as before, so I erase all but the D and
save, then erase the D to get a blank message.  I can change the number
OK, but not erase the whole message.  Is this a minor bug or some tie-in
with the default for the contest with DVK?

LOGCFG.DAT Memory Listing:

CQ MEMORY F1 = DVK1                 ;CQ
CQ MEMORY F2 = DVK1
CQ MEMORY F3 = DVK2                 ;Exchange
CQ MEMORY F4 = DVK3                 ;QSL
CQ MEMORY F5 = DVK4                 ;Call
CQ MEMORY F7 = Ctrl-A Ctrl-B DVK1   ;CQ on opposite radio
CQ MEMORY F8 = Ctrl-C SWAPRADIOS Ctrl-D Ctrl-C SAPMODE Ctrl-D DVK4
CQ MEMORY F9 = Ctrl-C SWAPRADIOS Ctrl-D Ctrl-C CQMODE Ctrl-D DVK1

EX MEMORY F1 = DVK4
EX MEMORY F3 = DVK2
EX MEMORY F5 = DVK4
EX MEMORY F8 = Ctrl-C SWAPRADIOS Ctrl-D Ctrl-C CQMODE Ctrl-D DVK1

O-2         ;DVK2 if desired for CQ exchange, say number before <CR>
O-4  DVK3   ;QSL
O-6  DVK4   ;Quick QSL (call)
O-8         ;DVK2 works for S&P, but not for Alt-D; use F3 for these

C-F7 CQs on opposite radio, swaps radios if entry in Call Window
C-F8 swaps radios, sends call, puts it in S&P mode
C-F9 swaps radios, sends CQ, sets CQ mode
E-F8 swaps radios, sends CQ, sets CQ mode (cancels C-F8 if no answer)

I haven't had a chance to look for other bugs, but if these aren't major
changes I'd guess the chance of unexpected side effects are small.  I'll
keep looking.

Thanks for the super response.  I hope this exercise helped with W9XT,
SBDVP and DVP operations as well.

<As far as this goes, the DVK is the same as the W9XT card.  So these
improvements will also be noticed when using the W9XT card.  The
operation of the SBDVP and DVP remains unchanged, but was put through
two radio testing during my QRP effort in the SS last year and everything
seemed to be working. --Tree>

Dave, W6NL