[TRLog] TRMASTER and missing SCP calls

Mark Marsden MM@plextek.co.uk
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 10:52:46 +0000

Hi guys,

CQWW SSB SOSB (20m 100W) what a great contest !

I got off to an awful start with TR crashing back to the DOS prompt
with Run-Time errors on me again and again - aaarrgghh!!!.

At 01:00 I nearly restarted the contest using CT, but then I tried
moving
the TRMASTER.DTA file out of TR6.31 subdirectory. That cured it!

It was a huge 6.4Mb base of calls and names, presumably it should
have come with a health warning about needing lots of RAM?

TR never crashed when I tested it at home with just a few qsos - I
should
have tested it thoroughly with a big log and CVB voice recordings
in RAM to really thrash it out. 1 hour into the contest is too late
to realise 8MB of ram isn't enough.

Near the end of the contest I was not getting SCP calls. (SCP = 3)
I would type the first 3 letters - get a few possibles - not the right
call -
finish typing in the call - press spacebar only to find it a DUPE!

It really was a big waste of time  - near the end of the contest,
when everyone's been worked, I had to keep typing in
their whole callsigns over and over again :-(

I find it hard to believe my venerable 486DX33 8Mb is too
slow to Dupe check 500 calls as fast as I can type them
especially at the stage of the contest where it's hard to find
the spacebar.

Can I add something to the wish list?   Please can TR be made to
use CTs bearing info for rotator control?

Thanks for a super program.

Best Regards

Mark G4AXX (Granta Contest Group)