[TRLog] The changing radius of Earth

Mark Beckwith swca@ionet.net
Thu, 09 Dec 1999 22:52:03 -0600

>> Could someone explain the RADIUS OF EARTH command?  Am I missing something?
>
>Some people (in Europe) like to use a standard value of this that might
>be different than the default that I have put it.  I put that there
>so people could adjust it if necessary.  It is used for the beam heading,
>sunrise/sunset and distance between grid calculations.

Okay, so this really is not a joke.  Perhaps I am not equal to
understanding that the radius of Earth is some kind of mystery or that it
changes from contest to contest?

This has really piqued my curiosity.  Until now I assumed this dimension
was for all intents and purposes, a constant.

Perhaps there is disagreement because Earth is, in fact, not spherical, and
the distance to the center is different depending on where on the Earth you
are.

I don't mean to go way out in right field here.  Maybe I'll just quit while
I am ahead (behind?).  Sorry.  This topic is probably better discussed on
the Boring Amateur Radio Club reflector anyway.

Mark, N5OT