[TRLog] ESC key blues

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@qsl.net
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:57:18 GMT

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 12:56:50 -0800 (PST), George Fremin III
<geoiii@kkn.net> wrote:

>K8KFJ@aol.com writes:
>

>> Why use paddles Dan?  I've heard others also indicate they use paddles in
>> conjunction with the software....something I've never understood.  Keyboard
>> mode is one keystroke to get in....and one keystroke to exit (nothing could be
>> simplier or faster).

I've never managed to talk to someone using the keyboard. The itch to
hit the paddles is just too ingrained. Don't know if I have enough
schmaltz anymore to undo a 43 year-old habit (bug/keyer).

When I talk on CW, I talk with my fingertips. I'm not aware of any
translation ... it's not a string of letters from one place in my mind
going to another to be translated to finger diddles on the paddle,
that can be rerouted to the keyboard instead. The CW-talk is in
finger-diddles to start with. I don't even think about it. I just do
it.

I think a lot of pre-computer high speed CW ops are that way.

This is one of the many and intriguing ways we are all different.

>Sending with paddles is simplier and faster.

For me, it's the only way. I receive on the keyboard. TR knows when I
get information done. Either TR sends or I diddle the paddle.

>I can just reach for the paddles to stop the CW being sent
>and startding right NOW the two or three letters I need to
>send - and at the same time I can type on the keyboard
>making corrections.  I can touch type but I usually find
>it much faster to send with the paddles than to enter
>keyboard mode and this does not stop me from doing things
>in the logging program WHILE I am sending CW - something you
>can not do if you are in the keyboard CW mode.
>

>--
>
>George Fremin III                   You know you've achieved perfection
>Johnson City, Texas                  in design, not when you have nothing
>K5TR (ex.WB5VZL)                      more to add, but when you have nothing
>geoiii@kkn.net                         more to take away.
>830-868-2510                                    -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
>http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr

73, Guy
--. .-..

Guy L. Olinger