[TRLog] Comm Port in MS DOS

J.T.Mitchell , Mitch (Laptop) mitch@gps.andor.net
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 15:20:33 -0600

--=====================_1489728==_

I had a problem with my note book and the comm ports not working under a DOS
window.  but would work when the system was coldbooted to a DOS prompt  (f8
Key)

This patch seems to have solved the problem.

I looks like Windoz 98 would not release the port in a DOS shell

snip
>Subject: Comm Port in MS DOS
>
>      Dear Mr. Mitchell
>
>         Regarding our conversation with the comm port not working in dos
>      mode, here are the instructions for changing the registry settings.
>
>      WARNING: The procedure you are about to follow to fix your stated
>      problem involves editing the system registry files. Using Registry
>      Editor invorrectly can cause serious problems which may cause the loss
>      of data, and may require you to reinstall Windows. Neither Toshiba nor
>      Microsoft will guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect
>      use of Registry editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own
>      risk.
>      For information about how to edit the registry, view the Changing Keys
>      And Values online Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe). Note
>      that you should make a backup copy of the registry files before you
>      edit the registry.
>
>      Solution 1:
>      - Open Registry Editor
>      - Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VCOMM
>      - Change "EnablePowerManagement" value to 00,00,00,00.
>
>      Solution 2:
>      - Apply the attached Registry Fix file, which does exactly the same as
>        solution 1.
>
>      Good Luck
>
>snip *******
>      Toshiba Technical Support.

Mitch
VE6JTM

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VCOMM]
"EnablePowerManagement"=hex:00,00,00,00