[TRLog] TS-870 and TRlog

Chris Adams n4vi@diac.com
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 22:22:16 -0700

Don,

There was discussion on serial port communication problems re: TS870
some time ago and I did some experments for Tree.  I had never had a
problem since I had used a straight though 9 wire shielded cable from
Radio Shack.  However, someone else was having problems...  so I built a
3 wire cable and duplicated the problem.  As far as I know, the 870 is
the only Kenwood that requires  rts/cts to be hooked up (and perhaps
they changed that on later models). Here is the conclusions that were
reached at the time...

> hi Tree,
>
> I have run a few experiments and this is what I have discovered.
>

> 3 wire cable, radio hears but doesn't talk back ( for example, the rig
> responds quickly to a band change, etc but no frequency ever shows up on
> the TR screen, etc).
>
> 3 wire cable with rts/cts shorted together at TS 870:  same as above
>
> 5 wire cable with rts/cts wired through to computer: works (but we
> already knew that)
>

> So it does seem that the TS 870 serial port requires the 5 wire version.

So it seems that a 5 wire serial port with rts/cts works.

73's es gl

chris, n4vi

-