[TRLog] Do we need Advanced testers for TR?

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 11:05:50 -0500

After over 3 decades in the software business, I can tell you that
advanced testers are a sword that cuts both ways.

The advance group, and the lead time necessary to get it to the
advance group with time to test it, is a real pressure. The problem
comes that the only REAL testing group is the universe of users. The
advance will catch some moderate percentage of bugs only. There will
still a pile of things that comes up as users get the latest version
up six hours before the contest.

Given that Tree doesn't do this to feed his family, I would say to
volunteer to test, give your rig and setup. He does ask people to test
when he's trying to run something down, at a time when he can work on
it. He really does ask. A couple of us on the east coast spent an
evening into the wee hours with him via email to debug a trouble with
FT1000MP not getting proper frequency display.

Go, Tree.

Guy.

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 18:02:16 +0900, you wrote:

>In message "Re: [TRLog] no, dammit, I said abort!"
>    on 99/11/29, K3BU@aol.com <K3BU@aol.com> writes:
>
>: Never had those problems with previous versions, same setup, same everything.
>: I guess I should be more conservative with "upgrading", wait untill others
>: will find the bugs. (I was using IC 781, 3 upgrades back it was running
>: smooth, without single hickup.)
>
>In other community like Linux Open Source, there are several testers who
>tests the most newly released versions then major bugs will be fixed in that
>tester group. It must be impossible to remove all the bugs reported just after
>the release before the release. Because Tree has not all the supported Xcvrs or
>computer environments.
>
>So why don't we have the Advanced tester group? This will improve the quality
>	---------
>	Tack Kumagai JE1CKA/KH0AM
>	Internet: je1cka@jzap.com
>	http://jzap.com/je1cka/