[TRLog] Re: TRLog Digest V3 #185

doug smith w9wi@bellsouth.net
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 23:03:26 -0500

TRLog Digest wrote:
> I finally used an NAQP break to reboot to DOS.  No more pauses, but the
> whole thing was uniformly slower and a royal pain.  This was a Windoze
> reboot to DOS, not booting DOS from a flippy, or natively from its own
> primary partition.

For what it's worth, I set up the Win98 machine in my shack to boot to a
DOS prompt by default.  This can be done by editing C:\MSDOS.SYS, and
changing the line BootGUI=1 to read BootGUI=0.  If I recall properly,
MSDOS.SYS is by default a hidden file, so you have to run ATTRIB -H
MSDOS.SYS before trying to edit it.

If you do this, you can still get into Windows by typing "win" at the
C:\> prompt.

It's worked great for me, no pauses or crashes.  I don't *think* I've
experienced the delays in aborting CW memories with <Esc> that I used to
have under DOS 5.0 either.

Do NOT try this on any system before Windows 95; in the older OS,
MSDOS.SYS is the OS itself (not a configuration file) and is not
human-readable...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66