[TRLog] Empty AUTOEXEC.BAT

CHARLES P BAKER w2ktf@juno.com
Mon, 8 May 2000 21:44:04 -0700

     I got my computer back from the local repair shop.  The hard
drive had been cleared out, and Windows reinstalled.  I had ex-
pected that, and had important stuff like TRMASTER  files backed
up on floppies.  I was surprised to find that my Windows 95 had
been replaced by Windows 98.

     I installed my TR rev. 6.44, and copied the TRMASTER files
into the TR directory.  Then typed a short LOGCFG.DAT in a
CQWW subdirectory, to see that all worked OK.  No!  when I
typed TR it would not work.  BAD COMMAND OR FILE NAME.

     I found the AUTOEXEC.BAT file was empty.  Zero bytes.
During the installation, TR had offered to put in a PATH
statement and to save old AUTOEXEC.BAT as AUTOEXEC.OLD.
Found AUTOEXEC.OLD - empty; zero bytes.  Found AUTOEXEC.-
NS0.  Huh?  What's that?  It was also empty.

     So, I put the following in the AUTOEXEC.BAT:

	PATH C:\DOS;C:\LOG;\C:\PACKET;\C:\DESKMATE

     Now, things seem to work OK, but I think a respectable AUTO-
EXEC.BAT should have more entries than this.  AND - my CONFIG.-
SYS is also empty; zero bytes.  I don't know what should go in it.
The young tech who worked on my computer says to forget the
DOS;  Windows 98 will work without DOS.   ???

     Of course, my DOS programs won't work without DOS.  And
it's strange that once when I booted up in Windows and had not
yet put the PATH line in the AUTOEXEC., my screen said some-
thing like this:  UNABLE TO START WINDOWS.  CAN NOT FIND
WINDOWS.COM  (I think that's what it said.)  So maybe Windows
needs a DOS path?

     Any expert DOSman out there who can tell me what went
wrong, and suggest any important statements to add to AUTO-
EXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS?

		Thanks from Charlie, W2KTF

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.