[TRLog] Empty AUTOEXEC.BAT

Bill Turner w7ti@jps.net
Mon, 8 May 2000 19:59:05 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: kl7ra <kl7ra@blizzard.gcgo.nasa.gov>
To: <trlog@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2000 7:28 PM
Subject: Re: [TRLog] Empty AUTOEXEC.BAT

> Hi Chuck
>
> >The young tech who worked on my computer says to forget the
> >DOS;  Windows 98 will work without DOS.   ???
>
> I think he would want to say forget the DOS autoexec and config
> files as windows does all that for you. DOS is ready to go by the
> windows startup file, except for any path statements. New OEM
> installs usually leave the .BAT file with remarks in case you wish
> to see the setup.
>
> If you remove windows then you need all the DOS commands you
> may have see mentioned on this reflector.
>
> Rich  KL7RA
Windows doesn't do everything for DOS.  For example if you work much with
DOS you will want the DOSKEY program to be run and to do that, you have to
put it in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file.  Likewise for the PROMPT command and
others.  Mr. Gates would just as soon you forgot all about DOS, but he
hasn't quite got Windows to do it all.

W7TI