[TRLog] Zone Mult display, etc.

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:17:52 -0500

At 02:36 PM 11/28/00 -0800, George Fremin III - K5TR wrote:
>I dont agree.
>
> - TAB gets you into S&P mode.
> - Hitting the spacebar with no call in the call window gets you
>   into S&P mode.

The latter is fine, but the former is not.  Would it be hard to give us the
option, at least?

>I move between the call window and the exchange window in two ways.
>either by the normal flow of TR during a QSO or I use the up and down
>arrows.

Sure, always.  That's not the issue.  but at 4AM some of us hit Tab by
mistake.

>> replacement for Tab in that role.  Too many of us use Tab reflexively to
>> move from one field to another in Windows dialogue boxes.  I think it's
>> also time to make Shift-Tab the default for going from S&P to CQ, as
>
>Shift-Tab already gets you from the S&P mode to CQ mode.
>
>I never use this - I use Escape.
>
>If you do not want the Escape key to exit the S&P mode then
>you can set this setting:
>
>ESCAPE EXITS SEARCH AND POUNCE = FALSE

Sure.  I do this all the time.  My problem is going the other way, exiting
CQ into S&P when I don't want to.

>It is in the Control-J mode.
>
>>  We don't change modes so much that a 2-key combination
>> in both directions would be especially onerous.
>
>Speak for yourself on this one... I use the escape key to
>get out of S&P all the time - I like the fact that
>it is one keystroke.  I also like the fact that I can
>hit the spacebar and get in the S&P mode and send my
>callsign at the same time - one big key - way cool.

As I said, that's great -- when you want to.  TR has a reputation for being
powerful but complicated and hard to learn, and the modes are a big part of
the reason.  Seems to me that since TR can accommodate lots of variations
-- disabling Escape to exit S&P, for example -- it would make sense to let
some of us configure it to eliminate known problems for US.  I had 2627
QSOs during CQWWCW, and I must have gotten into S&P mode by accident maybe
30 times -- just enough to be an annoyance, to me and to others.

73, Pete N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at