[TRLog] a "smarter" INITIAL EXCHANGE feature

VE6JY Don Moman VE6JY Don Moman" <ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 04:17:24 -0000

TR got a good workout (worked great as usual) up here too in ARRL 10, was
nice to experience good conditions for a contest - finally.

re: Pete's question about the REPEAT S&P EXCHANGE: If you have to repeat the
exchange then you have used the function. I sometimes double up on the real
exchange part (not the 5nn) or slow it down a couple wpm just to help a
station that isn't hearing well.

Watching VE6WQ operate here in the 10m contest I made a few notes of things
that might be worth implementing if they're not too hard to do....

The MESSAGE ENABLE  Ctrl"J" feature affects both CW and SSB messages, it
would be nice to have separate lines for CW and phone.  I want the CW
messages to go out, but in SSB triggering the MFJ keyer can be inopportune
(i.e.  no way to stop it once triggered) I prefer to have only the Function
keys run the keyer.

Another issue, not the fault of the program, but it happens all the time.
"Wrong" initial exchange data gets put in the field if this feature is
turned on - such as the ARRL sections from SS etc. This is from the TRmaster
file we're using but I think this can be a large problem to maintain a huge
database with no errors!  I know it can be turned off, but most of the time
it is a time saver.  Could TR be made to understand that SCV and ORG etc etc
when in the 10m contest, should all be CA?  It parses the exchange in other
ways in other contests so just wondering if that could be applied here?

Hold the press. It already does that if you put these abbreviations in the
S50p13dc.dom file. Wish I'd done that before the contest.  I just tried it
with one abbreviation - Sjv- so am assuming it will work for the rest.  It
might be an idea to include this in future Sxxxx.dom files just to make it
even smoother.  Perhaps this isn't a new thought, but it is to me.

73 Don
VE6JY