[TRLog] Boot to MS-dos/Notebook PCs

Mark Beckwith swca@ionet.net
Sat, 06 Jan 2001 12:47:34 -0600

>Yes, the laptop keyboard will affect your rate and longevity.

I think this is a great example of "Your Mileage May Vary" (YMMV) because I
have contested with laptops a fair bit and have:

a.  Never been slowed down by the keyboard, and

b.  I've never had the keyboard be the thing that fails on the laptop.  I
have lunched two displays, though.

For what its worth (FWIW).  I've had those TRlog rate numbers up pretty high
(400+ on SSB) on laptops.  I don't think 20% is a very good estimate of how
much it slows you down.  I would be hard pressed to even go along with 5%,
but that is in my experience only.  I bet there are some laptops out there
which are horrible for contesting, and I bet trained typists might have a
tougher time of adjusting to a smaller keyboard than untrained typists.

There are probably a whole lot of variables.

Mark, N5OT