[TRLog] IC-765 Radio Control

K2ONP@aol.com K2ONP@aol.com
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 10:48:52 EST

In a message dated 11/5/01 3:19:07 AM Eastern Standard Time, k4ro@k4ro.net
writes:

<<  haven't found the 1200 baud to be any kind of hinderance in operation.
 I made 1200 QSO with a pair of 765's this weekend, and had zero problems
 with the TR/radio interface.

Hi Kirk,
I set my 765 up precisely as you suggested; ( 1200 baud rate, turned off
transceive function for interface, same settings on ICOM commands in TR.)

The interface does work.  I am able to receive frequency information and
control the radio BUT, several significant problems remain:
1. If you type in a frequency and hit enter,  the vfo will go to that
frequency. However, the filter setting reverts to broad if you have it in a
narrow setting.  This is a problem for me because I am used to QSY'ing via
the computer rather than tuning.  It is especially a big problem if you are
running assisted and are picking up spots via point and shoot.
2. The split function works after a fashion, but it is clunky.  I have to
first manually set the VFO A=VFO B function, then use the (-) to enter the
transmit frequency.  This works.  However, if I want to go back to simplex
operation, I have to manually turn of the split function on the radio.  To
me, this is minor compared to the filter selection problem.
3. QSY using the shift keys doesn't work.  Again, very minor compared to the
filter selection problem.

On a more positive note, I also got on this weekend and used TR for my first
time in a CW Sweepstakes contest. Got on for about 6 or 7 hours, ran
constantly, and made about 300 or so Q's.  Wow, what an experience!  Here TR
really came into it's own as a contesting program.  BIG improvement over CT
for this contest.

TR is definitely a CW op's program, and I am certainly glad I invested the
time to work with it, and to get it up and running.  Improved radio control
can only enhance the program's utility.

Appreciate all your help and thoughtful discussions,
73's, Geo K2ONP