[TRLog] Cabrillo problems at the ARRL SS Robot

Alan Kaul Alan Kaul" <alan.kaul@worldnet.att.net
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 08:56:16 -0800

The great thing about the ARRL contest submission robot is it tells you if
there are apparent problems with the log.

I uploaded my Cabrillo logs (using 6.59 POST.EXE) for ARRL CW SS and the
robot rejected the first two attempts --- the line length it was looking for
was shorter than my actual line length.  On all the 10M QSO's the ROBOT
kicked the other guy's section to the start of the next line--then
disregarded both lines (the 1st  because the section was missing, and the
next because Cabrillo format does not allow a line to begin with "Wny" or
"Ewa" or  whatever the section was).

The problem was with QSO's in the 28000 band only -- apparently the 14000
and 21000 Q's were half-a-space shorter.  So I pulled a few blank spaces out
of the line after my callsign with a text editor and resubmitted -- and the
robot took it and reported "no mistakes."

My question is about Cabrillo --- does it mandate that specific information
(i.e. check, section, etc) occurs in a specific place in the line of text?
Or does it read the first data, then knows the next spaces are irrelevant,
then reads 2nd data, ignores next spaces, reads 3rd data, etc.?  In other
words -- will my log be scored correctly, or incorrectly because I removed a
few spaces from the middle of the line?

Alan Kaul, W6RCL, LaCanada, CA
w6rcl@amsat.org
http://home.att.net/~alan.kaul/index.html