[TRLog] Minimum PC requirements for TRLOG

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 05:45:02 -0500

At 11:22 PM 11/27/01 -0800, Mike wrote:

>I make a DOS boot floppy for the P-133 over at W6UE and
>let the machine boot up in DOS mode. TRlog seems to run
>just fine in this configuration. Running from a DOS window
>under WIN98 always seems to produce strange results
>(sluggish performance, keyer hiccups, etc). At home, for
>CW SS and Phone SS, I just restarted my P-133 x Win98
>machine in MS-DOS mode. This also worked fine even
>with SBDVP running during the phone contest.

For whatever it's worth, I routinely run TR, with or without SBDVP, in a
DOS window under Win98SE on a 200 MHz Pentium MMX.  A couple of precautions
take care of all observed problems with CW and sluggish radio control:

-- shut down all background tasks except Explorer and Systray using the
Task Manager (Ctl-Alt-Delete)

-- Run in full-screen DOS display mode rather than Windows display mode.
You can use Alt-Enter to toggle between the two.

One real advantage of doing this is that you can use the full Windows
"mixer" with your soundcard and SBDVP, which makes it a lot easier to get
the levels right.

73, Pete N4ZR
www.qsl.net/n4zr