[TRLog] Sorry CW On My Laptop

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 23:57:12 -0500

The use of Windows NT, Windows 2000 or Windows XP is problematic for
TR, because the operating system will interrupt tasks (TRLog is just
one of many tasks running) for system functions and other tasks. For
CW, the complaint is "choppy" or erratic CW, among others.

Windows ME does not use the same core as the NT derived Windows
systems.

The basic workarounds within the OS are to kill everything not needed
for TR. That is sometimes just not practical.

The other thing to do is to create a maintenance boot disk from ME
(which will not help if your TR files on XP are in NTFS), and boot
from it.

Best approach, use the desktop this time.

I use Win 98SE and modify MS-DOS.SYS to have the bootup stop at the
command prompt. That gives me access to the FAT32 files.

Since I have a SETI-farm of a dozen boxes running, having one of them
setup just for SETI and TRLog is no loss. When that box is running
Windows, it is a network drive on this box which allows me to run
POST, send contest/log email, etc.

Good luck in the SS.

73, Guy.