[TRLog] TR RTTY - can't transmit message buffers

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg@harts.org.hk
Thu, 03 Oct 2002 23:23:51 +0000

K4RO wrote:

>Thanks for the suggestion Brett. I tried the strings you suggested
>below.  It will now transmit when F1 is pressed, but after sending
>the text (CQ TEST K4RO) it stays in transmit instead of returning
>to receive. The only way I can retrun to receive mode is to press:
>
>F10
><Control-C>
><CR>
>
>Do I need something else on the RTTY receive string besides <04> ?

<04> is ^D, which is the default character to put the PK232 into receive
when sent at it as part of the text it is transmitting.  ^F does the same
thing, but with a CW ID sent before going into receive.

If ^D doesn't work for you, but ^C, R & then <CR> does, then perhaps
these parameters have been changed from default on your PK232?

Due to fear of battery leakage & how I used to be annoyed at how
different programs I would use to talk to the PK232 wanted different
terminal port settings, I have long abandoned the battery backup &
autobaud the thing on start up every time.

Wish I could say what those two parameters were called off the top of
my head like I used to, but it was over 15 years ago since I worked
for AEA...

 From TR, you should be able to hit <F10>, which will cause the PK232
to go into transmit, then hit <ESC> & it should go into receive.  What
does the PK232 do when you do that & what does it send back to the
terminal window in the process?

I goofed before - the critical lines in logcfg.dat for use with a PK232 are:

digital mode enable = true
rtty PORT = SERIAL 1
rtty receive string = <04>
rtty send string = tc<0D>x<0D>

That's a straight cut & paste from my cq02tty.cfg file, albeit first thing
in the
morning, but at least not during a during the middle of a run.  ;^)

>BTW, I did get into the CQ WW RTTY contest, but I used RTTY by WF1B.
>I could not get TR-Log to work properly in time for the contest.
>WF1B apparently has no band map, and a few other features from
>TR that I miss a lot, but the auto-call recognition is super great.
>I'm not giving up on TR for RTTY yet, but this weekend was not a
>very successful experiment.

TR for RTTY is fantastic, IMHO - especially if you are hooked on TR for
the other modes.  Unfortunately, you loose TR's fantastic bandmap in
RTTY & it's not possible to even have the program track band changes from
the rig, but this old dog just can't get his head around anything else &
I find my trmaster.dta file to be a very handy sanity check when trying to
associate good copy on the screen with good sounding tones to the
ear.

GL!

73, BW2/VR2BrettGraham