[TRLog] TR RTTY - can't transmit message buffers

K4RO Kirk Pickering k4ro@k4ro.net
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 12:25:37 -0500

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 04:33:42AM -0700, George Fremin III - K5TR wrote:
> The serial port for RTTY is fixed at 7 bits - did you have
> your TNC set for a 7 bit port?
> I had this problem with my rtty tu - it is fixed at 8 bits.

That did the trick, thanks George.

On the PK-232, the command which sets this is "AWlen 7".
It defaults to 8 bit.  The TU still works with AWlen 8
until you try to send it some of these special characters.
I also had to play with the send and receive strings some.
The following seems to work OK, except for the anomaly noted
below when using F10 to send keyboard data.

RTTY SEND STRING = <0d>x<0d>

RTTY RECEIVE STRING = <04>

The above seemed to be the only thing that worked.
The only remaining glitch is that when I send text using F-10,
after hitting escape I always get the following message:

**cmd: *** Transmit data remaining

The asterisks are actually two Control-D's  Hex <04>

F10 is programmed with nothing but a colon (:) and the
TNC will not transmit without it.

As for the backup memory in the PK-232, I found the best
solution was to install a "forget/remember" switch in series
with the internal backup battery, mounted on the back panel.                       This way, I can reset the PK-232 to auto-baud with the switch                      in the "forget" position.  If I want to keep the stored parameters,                I set the switch to "remember."

RTTY with TR is looking a whole lot better now.  Now if only
it had auto-callsign recognition and a way to feed it to the
call window, as someone suggested.  Great work folks, and
thanks for the help.

-Kirk  K4RO