[Trlog] ALT-D, ALT-F3, Exchange Radios...

Tonno Vahk tonno.vahk at mail.ee
Wed Dec 10 11:52:20 EST 2003

Hi Tree and TRers,

Just subscribed myself to the reflector and went through the archives for
the last year. I have been keen TR user for about 4-5 years. I love the SO2R
functionalities and have built up almost complete SO2R station (at least
inside the shack).

There are a few disturbing bugs that hamper fluent SO2R operation. I saw
some of them mentioned in archives as well:

1. ALT-D "On-deck" call dissapearing. It does not dissapear only because of
too many (2) Escapes after unsuccessful call on the 2nd radio! For me it
dissapears almost always when I call CQ on the main Radio with ENTER of F1!
Very unpleasant. In CQWW-s I got sick of retyping the call to ALT-D. As
somebody pointed out in archives - there is a workaround - to call CQ with
ALT-C, then the call stays to the upper right corner. But it is not a
solution clearly. I am sure Tree can fix this in the next version.

2. ALT-F3 message not working in SSB. I use SCKII by ZS4TX. It is a long
waited solution for me. I am overwhelmingly happy having 6 SSB messages to
use in TR as I use CW messages. One thing I cannot do is to use CQ SSB
MEMORY ALTF3. When I activate it (CQ SSB MEMORY ALTF3 = DVK1) then I cannot
call the "On-deck" station with SPACE BAR - it either starts the ALT-F3
message right away or sends my call on the main radio. Adding DVKDELAY to EX
SSB MEMORY F1 or any other possible places does not help. Has anybody got it
working?

3. Exhange Radios has some glitch. It seems to change the frequencies. Maybe
it is due to me using CQ (EX) SSB MEMORY and CQ (EX) CW MEMORY instead of
one CQ (EX) MEMORY. Somebody mentioned there might be a problem. I guess I
have to check this thing out more throroughly.

4. 6.79 developed a BandMap problem. BANDMAP did not switch to the band of
last VFO movement any more. It also did not switch BANDMAP with ALT-D etc..
Had to go back to 6.78. That works OK in that respect.

5. DVKDELAY did not seem to work for me after S&P SSB EXCHANGE with second
radio. Thus I could not use it in ALT-D process. Even when the DVKDELAY was
added the CQ on the main radio started immidiately after I pressed ENTER to
give my exchange on 2nd RADIO and to log the QSO. Thus no Exchange got
transmitted on the second radio (or just a millisecond of it got). It would
have been nice to use S&P SSB EXCHANGE in CQWW where the EXCHANGE is fixed.
Bernie, ZS4TX, told that it is working for him so I wonder if anybody else
has noticed the problem.

Will be reading your comments with great interest.

73
Tonno
ES5TV