[TRLog] NAQP Experiences - Omni VI+ & TRLog 6.72

John Unger w4au@contesting.com
Mon Jan 13 16:43:39 EST 2003

I'm not sure why some people are still having problems using TRLog 6.72
with the Omni VI+, so I thought I post my experiences and settings and see
if that can help anyone still not able to get their Omni VI working
properly with the latest verion of TR.

Version 6.72 worked virtually flawlessly for me in the NAQP this past
weekend. (I made 825 Q's, a personal best effort for me...) I had my Omni
VI+ setup as an IC-781. Here's the pertinent part of my logcfg.dat file:

RADIO TWO NAME = OMNI IV
RADIO TWO TYPE = IC781
RADIO TWO RECEIVER ADDRESS = 4
RADIO TWO CONTROL PORT = SERIAL 2
RADIO ONE NAME = TS850S
RADIO ONE TYPE = TS850
RADIO ONE CONTROL PORT = SERIAL 1
TWO RADIO MODE = TRUE

I was using defaults for all the other radio-related parameters including
ICOM RESPONSE TIME and RADIO TWO BAUD RATE. During the contest I booted my
computer with DOS 6.22 using a floppy disk and ran TR that way, but my
experiences in running TR and the Omni VI were identical when I was
checking things out using a DOS window in Windows 98se. I will be glad to
share my config.sys and autoexec.bat files, if anyone thinks that these may
be part of the problem.

Interesting note: Prior to the contest I discovered that TR 6.72 would not
work properly with the Omni VI and IC-781 setting if the RADIO TWO TYPE and
RADIO TWO RECEIVER ADDRESS lines were swapped. Ron is aware of this problem
and is working on it.

I did notice a "Radio Two Communication Warning" flashing for a few seconds
in the lower left-hand corner of the screen (accompanied by a bell tone
from the computer) occasionally when I switched bands with ALT-V or ALT-B
or changed frequency by typing a frequency in the call window. This
occurred about 10% of the time I did these operations, but did not prevent
the action from taking place. Most of the time I change bands with the
rig(s); it's just how I do things...

I was also using the AUTO S&P feature with it's default settings; it worked
fine. Also, I thought the frequency readout window displayed the current
frequency much more smoothly than with earlier versions.

I hope this information is helpful.

73 - John, W4AU