[Trlog] Minor bugs in TR 6.78

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Nov 3 08:23:09 EST 2003

At 12:52 PM 11/3/03 +0000, kd4d at comcast.net wrote:
>I also believe that the "on-deck" call
>mysteriously got cleared (so the "SPACE" didn't call the
>other station) several times, but I don't know what I did to
>cause it.

I saw this too.  Not to push the analogy too far, but contest logging
software is a little like military equipment -- it has to work well even
when the operator is tired or otherwise not thinking straight.  My failures
of this sort always happened when I had unwisely hit too many ESCs after an
unsuccessful second radio call, often after hitting F1 a couple of
additional times.  The only cure was to do another Alt-D and re-enter the
call.  I wonder if this might be prevented by not allowing ESC to clear the
Alt-D "sub"-memory somehow, or limiting the number of ESCs that are
interpreted when in Alt-D second radio mode.

>2. SCP is broken.  It doesn't show some duplicate calls.  The
>Alt-D or space bar dupe checks beep and show the dupe, but the
>call never shows up in the SCP window.  Specifically, W9CO,
>K0PY, K6OY, KB9AX never showed up after I worked them.  N9CO
>did.  I rely on that.  When I start typing a call, if it comes
>up RED in the SCP window, I quit typing it and move on.  With
>this bug, I have to enter the full callsign and do a dupe check.
>I tried deleting restart.bin and restarting.  That didn't help.

Yep, me too.  Like Mark, I rely on the visual cue of the dupe call color to
tell me it's a dupe -- and I don't run the beep.  I never (almost never)
use the space bar to dupe a call.  I only encountered this with the Alt-D
checks, but it happened a lot.  Hopefully, naming the specific calls will
make it easy to find.

Other little things -- the frequency display for the second radio (Kenwood
protocol, TS-930/PIEXX) blinked intermittently throughout the contest, but
never (so far as I know) messed up the log -- I saw one NONCW pass by very
briefly.  I was not testing message length from the Kenwood, and perhaps
that was the cause (I couldn't find the command name for that test in the
heat of battle)

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated October 29.
2469 stations are listed -- 29 new and over 100 updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm