[Trlog] TRlog - Icom IC-756proII ?

mark at nevus.org mark at nevus.org
Wed Aug 18 15:21:38 EDT 2004

>I would appreciate hearing from any IC-756pro users.
>I have one up and running, except for the fact that
>the rig frequency is not displayed on the screen.

Paul, My Icom 746PROs (I have 2 side-by-side SO2R) are similar in a lot of
ways to the 756PROII.  I had to do a lot of configuration to get mine
working right.

I had to go into the radios' menus and I changed the baud rate from "AUTO"
to "4800" and I also had to make sure the rig address was the same as
TRlog's CFG file.  This gets exciting because the rig is in hex and the
program is in base 10 (or is it the other way around, I forget).  Also, the
manual (v6.74) is misleading on page 172 in specifying only one address for
these radios, when in fact they are user programmable on the radio through a
range of many addresses.

Actually I am hoping that Tree can get inspired to figure out if both of my
new Icoms can be controlled over a single serial port by having the two
radios use different addresses.  So far, in experiments, we have managed to
get TR to display both radios' frequencies simultaneously over the same
serial port, but it only works about 90% of the time, so there are some data
collisions, maybe.

Tree asked me why I wanted to do this and it is because I can put BOTH Icoms
and a laptop in a Pelican case and have a full-on SO2R DXpedition for the
same weight as my TS950 by itself.  An old laptop with one serial port and
one parallel port SO2R both Icoms.  Very simple; very clean.

How I'm going to transport two amplifiers is another matter :)

Anyway, if you know what I'm talking about with the addresses, then this may
not be your problem.  If you DON'T know what I am talking then it probably
IS your problem.  I can probably talk you through that if you want.

Mark, N5OT

P.S. ICOM owners get the hint: now is the time to butter Tree up and get him
to quit treating our radios like second class citizens!  :)