[Trlog] NAQP question

Jim George n3bb at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 12 20:30:28 EST 2004

This is exactly my question as well!  After giving it some thoughts, and
hearing the extremely smooth way that W4PA moved me to 160 for a QSO (since
he probably didn't need Texas for a mult on 160) while continuing a good
rhythm on his run frequency, here is my thinking on the subject:

1.  It's hard sometimes to know if you need the mult, because the location
of the station is not known if you have not worked him/her before.

2.  So be prepared to enter the exchange info, and if you need the mult on
another band after seeing the "mult needed data,"  log the QSO with the CTL
ENTER keys so you do not send the "QSL Message" because then he is gone!

3.  Program and press a key to send " ) PSE QSY TO " and then send the
frequency with a paddle or with the F10 keyboard CW.

4. Program a key to send " ) ) \ \ " to call him/her on the suggested
frequency.  Proceed this command with the CTL A command to put the call on
the inactive radio.

5.  Until he answers you, continue CQing on your run freq.

6.  When the station answers you on the QSY frequency, hit the ALT R key
(to make the inactive radio active), and the CTL R key to pick the
station's call sign from the previous QSO), and work the station on the QSY
freq with the proper F keys and log the QSO.

7.  Press the ALT R key and go back to the run frequency.  Continuing CQing
as before.

There probably is a more elegant way to do this, but it's the best I can
think of at this time.  The NAQP is hard because you don't know if you need
the mult from the call sign unless you have worked him before and the
database knows his QTH.  If it's a brand new station, you must either know
where he is, or go through the steps in #2 above.