[Trlog] Multi-Network observations

Charlie Ocker N9CO at aol.com
Wed Jun 30 09:39:14 EDT 2004

In this past weekends Field Day "event", I was responsible for setting
up TR on a 3 computer network.  2 machines were for logging (the group
was in the 2A class), and the third was setup for "no log" and was used
to dump packet cluster spots into the network.

The network was reliable and robust.  No issues whatsoever.

But, there was some unexplained (at least to me) "weirdness" going on in
regards to the rate display.

All 3 machines had the same variable set:

MULTI INFO MESSAGE = $ %

All 3 machines had the same display variable(s) set:

HOUR DISPLAY = THIS HOUR
RATE DISPLAY = QSO POINTS

All 3 machines had the bandmap enabled.

The "weirdness" is when the HOUR DISPLAY would start showing BAND
CHANGES instead of QSO POINTS.  The numbers were huge... 783, then 952,
etc.  We were NOT changing bands... this first occurred during the first
few hours when both stations were running, and hadn't even changed
frequencies.  Sometime later, the HOUR DISPLAY would revert back to THIS
HOUR.  All 3 computers in the network would display the same thing.
This behavior occurred throughout the 24 hours, and didn't follow any
pattern in regard to rates or packet cluster activity.

The following is not a bug report, per se, but rather a request for
improvement.  Is there any way that TR can display the individual
stations QSO rate (or points) in addition to the networked sum?  This
would be most useful for making real time band/mode change decisions.  I
believe that CT does this, but of course, I would never consider using
CT unless forced to do so at gunpoint or demanded by a station owner.

73,
Charlie  N9CO