[Trlog] XP and TR

Robert Brandon rbrandon at austin.ibm.com
Thu May 27 10:26:44 EDT 2004

I seriously doubt the computer will be able to boot to the thumb drive.  Ask
your IT guy to check the BIOS options, but at the point of boot-up, the
computer is pretty dumb.  It doesn't have drivers loaded to use its
"fancier" features like infra-red, Ethernet, and I'll bet -- USB.

On the other hand, most modern laptops can boot to a CD-ROM drive.  See if
your IT guy could help you make a bootable CD to get you to a Win98 command
prompt.  Include an AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS that loads SMARTDRV AND
HIMEM.SYS.
Create a small FAT32 partition on the hard drive.
Boot to the CD, and you should be able to see your FAT32 partition as the C
drive.
You'll probably want to load some Win98 files there (e.g., those from the
C:\Windows\Command directory -- things like FORMAT, EDIT, XCOPY, etc.).
Load TR on that partition and you're off to the races.

Robert K5PI