[Trlog] Preloading fields for SS

George Fremin III geoiii at kkn.net
Wed Oct 27 22:48:24 EDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 07:05:40PM -0700, Eric Hilding wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to pre-load the following fields for SS based
> upon callsign to cut down on typing:
>
> 1. Prec. (ERP)
>
> 2. Year Licensed
>
> 3. Section
>
> OBVIOUSLY, the data can not be relied upon and changes will have to be made
> based upon what is actually copied.  It's the TRMASTER.ASC setup and all
> necessary option switches within TR to change that I'm wrestling with.

I think that if you are going to do this you should stick
to just the Check and Section.

> Also, let's say station XYZ was in EMA last year which gets pre-filled, but
> has QSY'd to WMA.  Can I just tag on WMA in the exchange line to update
> that entry or will I need to backspace/erase/wipe out the prefilled EMA
> before typing WMA?

Just type the new section at the end of the exchange.

Let me take my TR-Log support hat off and put on my
SS OP hat...........

Don't bother doing this - while it does save on the typing
and might even increase your rate a slight amount.
But this slight increase in rate will be more than offset
with the increase in your error rate.

I have used the feature in one or maybe two SS contests
back in 1995 or 1996 and I found that it was just confusing.
I found that sometimes I would not be sure if the check
and section was what I typed or what had been filled in
and if you hear something close to or that sounds like
what was filled in you will just accept it and log it
and thus make more errors.

Now that SS logs are some of the most closely checked
of all contests logs you stand to hurt your score.

I don't ever use these sorts of features or even the call
databases - I just the stuff from my log.

YMMV

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii at kkn.net